#123 Burg Prunn
Riedenberg, Lower Bavaria, Germany
about 1140 and later
This is NOT an official Lego site
Prunn would be a typical small German castle, relegated
to relative obscurity, save one thing - its location. The
castle has been perched for nearly one thousand years on
an outcropping of rock towering more than 300 feet above
the Altmuehl River near Riedenburg in Lower Bavaria. The
sheer beauty of the location rivals the seaside castles
of Dunluce in Co. Antrim, Ireland and Dunnottar in
Grampian, Scotland. The castle, thus protected on three
sides by sheer cliffs, is first mentioned in 1037 as
being owned by Wernher of Prunn, and then 8 years later
by Adalbert of Prunn. In 1147 Herr von Laaber of
Praiteneck is in possession of Burg Prunn. The castle,
consisting of the old Bergfried [donjon] and surrounding
buildings, now gone, is held by the barons of Laaber and
Breitenbrunn until 1288, when the castle is sold to Duke
Ludwig [Louis III] of Bavaria. .
1338 the Teutonic Knights of Frauenberg bought the castle,
holding it until 1567. In 1491 the Knights sided with the
Lowlerbund and the Duke of Bavaria destroyed Burg Prunn.
The castle was rebuilt and held by the Knights until they
were destroyed about 1567, when Burg Prunn reverted to
Albert V, Duke of Bavaria. He entrusted the castle on to
Graf [Count] Joachim von Ortenburg, despite his dismay at
von Ortenburg's embracing of Protestantism. The count,
known as "Jack the Joyous" brought to Prunn his
ornamented 1230 manuscript of the famous German epic, the
Nibelungenlied (Song of the Nibelungs), now in the
National Library of Bavaria [see right]. In 1570 Duke
Albert gave the castle to Karl Köckh von Mauerstetten,
who remodeled parts of the castle. In 1672 Burg Prunn
passed to the Jesuits, who added rococo ornamentation to
the interior. With the dissolution of the Jesuit Orders
in 1773, Prunn became of property of the Knights of St.
John of Jerusalem (Hospitalers). With the dissolution of
the Hospitalers, Burg Prunn became the property of the
state of Lower Bavaria in 1822.
|The white horse painted on the side of the castle is said to be the heraldic figure of the Teutonic Knights of Frauenberg, but there is another explanation as well - THE WHITE HORSE OF PRUNN: Once upon a time there was a rich knight at Prunn who had no son - only a beautiful daughter. The old man feared his fortune would fall into the hands of an unscrupulous stranger by marriage to his daughter. So as young knights flocked to the castle from far and wide to woo his daughter, her father set an arduous task for them: "Ride around my castle at the bottom of the wall and you shall marry my daughter". All the knights that took up the challenge crashed to their deaths at the precipice near the southeast corner. Eventually a young, stately knight appeared and rendered helpless by the young damsel's beauty, took up the lethal task. However, as he rode to the edge of the precipice, he saw a note dangling from a string. Looking up he saw the fair maiden who gave him a shy smile and a wink. The note explained that there was a path at the base of the castle, but he would need to reconnoiter first to ride safely. After climbing down on a rope and finding the way across the crevice, he reappeared the next day and successfully circled the castle. The old knight reluctantly allowed the marriage to his daughter's delight and they lived happily ever after -- and to commemorate the risky ride, the young knight painted a picture of his brave white horse on the wall of the castle!|
of the Lego Model
under construction in September 2008
The model eventually needed 5391 pieces of white Lego for the castle itself.
The sheer mountainside surrounding half the castle utilized 4034 bricks for studless
appearance: 1971 light gray bricks, 607 slopes, 190 inverse slopes, 52 tiles, and
1214 bricks of other colors behind the light gray.
from the northwest shows both
the grassy area in front of the castle and
the rocky outcropping.
from the river side with
outline of both courtyard and
view from the eastsoutheast
shows the rest of the rocky prominence
drawbridge defines Burg Prunn
on September 30.
mountain is now complete
with the castle and its courtyard
from the ENE brings
more detail to the residential
parts of Burg Prunn.
of the Lego Model
built September-October 2008
view of Burg
Prunn with its old donjon
bartizans are mostly
residential range grew
from the east side
view with residential
range and famed white horse
the small courtyard
of this beautiful
Bavarian castle from the
gate into the courtyard
entrance and west
Other Burg Prunn pages:
then select Germany, then Bayern then Niederbatern then Riedenberg "Burg Prunn"
Return to the
Castles created by
Page designed & maintained by Robert Carney