Kirkcudbright, Dumphries & Galloway, Scotland
This is NOT an official Lego site
Castle is decribed by Plantagenet Somerset Fry [Castles
of Britain and Ireland] as another 'borderline'
castle. It could easily be taken at first glance to be an
old ruinous mansion, but is closer to the defendable
castle category by the presence of 10 gunloops on the
ground floor, lack of direct access between the basement
and hall, and a spyhole in an inglenook (referred to as
the Laird's Lug on the First Floor Plan below) off the
great hall. The castle was built in 1582 using stone
taken from Greyfrair's Monastery on the property when Sir
Thomas MacLellan bought it in 1569. The castle is a large
L-plan tower house with two towers in the re-entrant
angle and a five story tower on the opposite corner.
son Robert was made the first Lord Kirkcudbright in 1633.
He successfully gained several land grants in Ireland.
Protecting the Irish lands and supporting the Covenanters'
cause after 1638 drained the family fortunes, however. In
1741 the then Lord Kirkcudbright was making gloves in
Edinburgh, and the family abandoned the castle in 1752,
removing the roof (to avoid further taxes) and taking the
furniture. The deteriorating castle briefly passed on to
the Maxwell and Douglas families before being put in
State guardianship in 1912.
of the Lego Model
Built January-February, 2006
|North View||East View||Southeast View|
||West View||The small
Other MacLellan's Castle pages:
Return to the
Castles created by
Page designed & maintained by Robert Carney