#17 Ludlow Castle
Shropshire, England
1085
This is NOT an official Lego site

While first mentioned by chroniclers in 1138, Ludlow was probably begun not long after 1066 when the property was acquired by the de Lacy family. Ideally situated on a 100 foot level promentory overlooking the Rivers Teme and Corve, the castle was usually in the thick of wars between the Welsh and the English. When the last male de Lacy heir died about 1240, the estates were divided between the two daughters and Ludlow eventually came into the hands of the five generations of Mortimers, including King Edward IV, who enlarged the castle several times.
The succession of Edward to the English throne made Ludlow a royal castle, which she remained for 350 years. Wales was virtually governed from Ludlow for a century. The famous Chapel of St. Mary Magdelene was one of the earliest castle chapels in England and was modelled after the Church of the Holy Sepulchre in Jerusalem. John Milton wrote his "Comus" here. While a Royalist stronghold in the Civil War, the castle negotiated a quick surrender, and the castle was spared demolition. Several successive earls of Powis maintained Ludlow until she was taken over by English Heritage.



Bucks Engraving
General Plan
with key
Plan of the
Inner Ward
Bridge Watercolor


Photos of the Lego Model
Built September 1988
South View
East View
East Northeast View

 

Build Your Own
Lego Plan


Other Ludlow Castle pages:
http://www.castlewales.com/ludlow.html
http://www.ludlowcastle.com/home.htm?http://www.ludlowcastle.com/tour.htm
http://vrcoll.fa.pitt.edu/medart/image/England/Ludlow/Castle/mainLudlow.html
http://www.virtual-shropshire.co.uk/about/ludlow-castle.html

Return to the main castle page.

Castles created by Robert Carney
Page created and maintained by Robert Carney