#2 & #55 Goodrich
This is NOT an official Lego site
first castle at the strategic site overlooking the River
Wye was an enclosure built along 1102. It was probably
another half century before Godric Mappestone, from whom
the name of the castle presumably arises, strengthened
the castle with a stone tower. Further substantial
enlargments were carried out in the late thirteenth
century by William Marshall and his son Aymer de Valence.
In addition to the towers and curtain wall, the barbican
and gatehouse, as well as the spurs of several drum
towers were added.
passed from the hands of the Earls of Pembroke to become
the chief seat of the Earls of Shrewsbury in 1446, then
passed on to the Earls of Kent in 1616. Attacked in the
Civil Wars of 1642-6 by Cromwell's army, Goodrich finally
succumbed to four and one half months of pummelling by
200 pound balls from the Cromwellian mortar "Roaring
Meg", the last castle in Herefordshire to fall.
Following the Civil War the castle was slighted [partially
dismantled] and allowed to fall into disrepair.
of the Lego Model
Built August 1993
Other Goodrich Castle pages:
Return to the main castle page.
Castles created by Robert Carney
Page created and maintained by Robert Carney