#20 Chipchase Pele Tower
Chollerton, Northumberland, England
This is NOT an official Lego site
||Chipchase Tower is an imposing structure on the
left bank of the North
Tyne attributed to Walter Heron in the mid-14th century.
It replaced an earlier tower built at least a century
earlier, possibly by the de Umfraville owners in the 12th century, or by
Peter de Insula around 1261, when he obtained a license to strengthen
his mill dam from Alexander III, King of Scots, who owned the property
on the right bank of the river. The fine, four story Pele Tower
House was built soon after Heron married the de Lisle heiress in 1348,
though the first mention of the castle is in 1415, when it was in the
possession of Alexander Heron. A survey in 1541 noted that the
'fare tower' had a 'manor of stone joined thereto'. Sir George
Heron was killed in the 'Raid of Redesdale' in 1575. The defensive
tower is 34 x 51 feet in size and 50 feet tall. Its original oak
portcullis is still in place. The two tiered fifth floor turrets, all
connected by a parapet walk,
were and are an outstanding feature of this castle.
In 1621 Cuthbert
Heron, George's brother, removed the old manor house and built a
beautiful Jacobean mansion, attaching it to the old Pele Tower.
Cuthbert soon became the High Sheriff of Northumberland. His
second son, also Cuthbert, was created a baronet by King Charles II, but
his financial problems followed his family, who eventually sold the
castle and its properties to a Newcastle merchant in 1727. John
Reed, a Newcastle banker, acquired the property in 1734, and it was he
who made the major alterations to the old tower. The family bank's
failure led Reed's descendents to sell the estate to the Greys of
Backworth, who in turn sold the property to Hugh Taylor in 1861.
The castle is currently associated with author Paul Torday, and the
gardens are routinely open to the public.
Other Chipchase Castle pages are uncommon and mostly worthless.
Here is one good one, plus the official website:
Return to the main castle page.
Castles created by
Page designed & maintained by Robert Carney